Saturday, May 15, 2010

Baby-Back Ribs with Honey Mustard Glaze and Baked Beans

I've never made ribs before... or baked beans, for that matter. Both of these ended up being delicious - my dad actually called them "awesome" as he cleaned his plate.

The ribs were unbelievably tender - it was a bit tricky to flip them on the grill so I wouldn't lose anything in the grate but I recruited help and it worked well. I practically ate them with a fork!

I bought navy beans to soak for the baked beans... but miscalculated the time needed (a theme with me) so I changed gears in the middle and used canned beans instead.

I served potato salad and coleslaw with it - those count as veggies, right?
















Baby Back Ribs with Honey Mustard Glaze
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Kosher salt and ground pepper
4 pounds baby-back ribs (2-3 racks)
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 honey

Heat oven to 275. Make the rub: in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, paprika, dry mustard, oregano, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.

Places the ribs on a large ribbed baking sheet. Rub the ribs with the spice mixture and tightly cover with foil. Bake until tender and the meat easily pulls away from the bone, 2 - 2.5 hours.

Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a small bowl combine the Dijon mustard, vinegar, and honey. Save 1/2 cup for serving.

Heat grill to medium-high. Grill the ribs, basting with the sauce and turning occasionally, until just beginning to char, 4-5 minutes. Serve with reserved sauce.















Baked Beans
3-5 strips of bacon (I used 5 strips of pepper bacon)
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 (15 ounce) cans pork and beans
1/3 cup BBQ sauce (I used some Jack Daniels I had on hand)
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons dry mustard


In skillet (I used cast iron) cook the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towel. Add the onion to the drippings (drain some out if it's too much) and cook until softened.

Drain 1 can of the beans and pour it, and the 2nd can, into a bowl. Add the cooked onion, BBQ sauce, brown sugar, and mustard. Mix well.

Pour the contents of the bowl into a greased baking dish (or back into the cast iron skillet, which is what I did).

Bake uncovered at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Crumble the bacon on top when it finishes.

No comments :

Post a Comment



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved