Friday, July 2, 2010

Flour Tortillas
















These are so incredibly easy, I have no idea why I haven't made them before. Now mine weren't gorgeous; I don't have that smasher machine that Mexican Inn has to make them perfect and round, but they were tasty and that is all that matters. Even Jason seemed impressed, and he's hard to impress.
.
The recipe doesn't make much so I made two batches. I wouldn't want to make lots of them, since you do them individually, but I made 6-8 for fajitas tonight and it was no big deal. If you wanted to make them just so you can slather butter and salt on them (yum.) this would probably make 5-6 smaller ones. Form the dough into golfball size balls before rolling out. Combine two golfballs to make a fajita sized one. To make a chipotle size burrito you'll probably need the whole batch. And probably then some. No wonder those burritos have no many calories!
.
I wish I had a big pastry board to roll it out on. Rolling it on my countertop seemed icky (I have germ issues...) so I used wax paper, which crinkled some underneath.
.
Flour Tortillas
2 cups flour (I used bleached all purpose)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter (I zapped it for 15 seconds or so to soften it up)
1/2 cup water
.
Combine all ingredients, mush it all together, and roll out portions however large you want your tortillas to be. Make sure it's rolled thinly (one of mine was super thick, I got in a hurry, but it was still good by itself - just not great for a fajita). Fry each one on medium-high heat WITHOUT greasing the pan. You'll know it's done when it gets those browned parts on it (30 seconds or so per side). If you had a tortilla warmer, which I drool over at BB&B and never buy, it would be grand to just stick it in that when finished.
.
The first batch I made was a little crumbly until I squished it a bit with my hands. Those actually came out better than the second batch, which was a little stickier. You may want to add the water a little at a time until you get the right consistency.

1 comment :

  1. Aimee, Thanks for posting this! You do make it sound easy enough for me to give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved