Thursday, December 2, 2010

Salisbury Steak with Mushrooms

Both Food Network Magazine and Cooking Light had recipes for salisbury steak this month so I took that as a sign. Plus, it's good ol' comfort food that is perfect for chilly temps! I went with the Food Network version because it used mushrooms. And I love mushrooms.

I've made several different versions of salisbury steak and really, they are all just about the same but I love the addition of mushrooms in this one and the absence of any kind of beef broth. It was very easy, fast, and used things you typically already have on hand. We both thought it tasted great.

I served it over buttered egg noodles.

Salisbury Steak with Mushrooms 
1 pound ground beef
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 onion, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
7 saltine crackers, finely crunched (about 1/4 cup)
1 teaspoon minced sage (I used some rubbed sage I had)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (I forgot we were out so I used soy sauce in a pinch - worked great)
1 tablespoon all purpose flour

Gently mix the beef, egg, onion, cracker crumbs, sage, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a few grinds of pepper in a large bowl using your hands. Divide it into 4 equal portions and shape into oval patties, about 1/2 inch thick.

Heat 1 tablespoon butter in skillet over medium high heat. Brown the patties, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to plate.

Add 1 tablespoon butter to the skillet and cook the mushrooms until slightly browned, about 2 minutes. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste, scraping up any browned bits. Sprinkle in the flour and stir, then stir in 2.5 cups of hot water and simmer until the sauce begins to thicken, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, swirling to combine.

Return the patties and any juices from the plate to the skillet. Simmer until the sauce thickens and the patties are cooked through, about 2 minutes.

No comments :

Post a Comment



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved