Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Cream Cheese Wontons

I'm a sucker for cream cheese wontons at places like Panda Express. Since they charge a ridiculous amount for them, I try to resist... and typically succeed. Tonight I was making General Tso's Chicken but had neglected to plan something else to go with it. Then, I remembered that I still had half a package of wonton wrappers, a package of cream cheese, and some green onion leftover in the fridge. While crab meat mixed in would rock, I could live with just cream cheese -especially if it meant using ingredients that likely would end up tossed out!

Though I literally just tossed some ingredients into a bowl, these turned out surprisingly delicious. And really, just like the ones at chinese fast food restaurants! They are also super quick to make - 1-2 minutes for each batch? Would be great to make as an appetizer or finger food for the next event we make food for.

I'm sure these would be good baked as well...if one had a working oven (though I finally did call a repairman - third try to get it fixed - hopefully they show up!). But since I was already frying for the General Tso's Chicken recipe, it was a piece of cake to just fry these prior.

And what will two people do with a huge platter of cream cheese wontons? I have no idea, but I had to use up all the ingredients...

Cream Cheese Wontons
1 package of cream cheese, softened (the whipped kind is easier to mix!)
1/2 package wonton wrappers (not eggroll wrappers)
1-2 tablespoons chopped green onions (just eyeball it!)
1 teaspoon paprika (just eyeball it!)
Vegetable oil, for frying
Water, to seal

Mix the cream cheese, green onions, and paprika together in a small bowl. Pour some water in a small dipping bowl and put near your workspace. Spoon about a teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture in the center of each wrapper and, using your finger, run a little bit of water along each edge. Fold over to create a triangle and seal.

Heat oil on med-high until about 350 degrees. Fry the wontons in batches, turning once, until browned on both side. Drain on a paper towel lined plate.

Serve hot.

No comments :

Post a Comment



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved