Monday, February 13, 2012

Indian Cashew Chicken

Ah, Indian food, my love. It'd been awhile since we had it for dinner and I was craving the unique flavors that seem to be a part of most Indian dishes. This recipe came across my blog reader not too long ago and I immediately planned to make it. It's slightly different than Chicken Tikka Masala and Butter Chicken though they all have similar spices.

This particular dish has no heat but lots of flavor. It was easy and quick to make and we both liked it a lot. I personally feel like the texture of the added cashews on top adds a lot to the dish so don't leave them out unless you really hate nuts, like my husband.

I absolutely hate raisins but thought they were necessary in the sauce. (You can probably see from the pic that I didn't use golden raisins.)

I threw in a small pinch of saffron to my basmati rice this time and it really added to the flavor of the whole dish (and gave it a nice yellow glow). I love basmati rice but you could serve it over any type of rice your family likes!

Psst - buy the raisins and cashews in the bulk section to save money!

Indian Cashew Chicken
2 medium onions
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup cashews
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon plain yogurt
2 tablespoons oil
1 lb. cubed raw chicken breasts
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
1 1/4 cup water

Peel and quarter the onions. In a food processor, process the onion pieces for about 1 minute or until a smooth puree forms. Add the next 8 ingredients (through oil) to the onion mixture and process for another 1-2 minutes.

In a heavy pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Pour the spice mixture from the food processor into the pan and fry for 2 minutes. The lightly cooked spices will start to give off a nice aroma.

Add the cubed chicken breast, half of the cilantro, and the golden raisins. Stir-fry for another 1 minute.

Add the water and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Serve over rice and garnish with remaining cilantro or cashew pieces.

Source: Pinch of Yum

No comments :

Post a Comment



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved