Friday, March 8, 2013

Swiss Steak (crockpot option)

Swiss steak holds a childhood memory for me that I think may be unfounded. Isn't that funny how things from childhood don't always match up with what others remember?

My memory is that my mom had a handful of dishes in heavy rotation, and swiss steak was one of them. And she always served it with/over mashed potatoes. She would tell you that we rarely had it but I don't care; it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling when I first take a bite.

We don't eat it nearly enough in our house but every once in awhile (especially when it's cold outside!) I get a hankering for it. And it's always just as good as I remember, and yet so simple. It's not complicated, you're not going to find it in Food and Wine Magazine, and it's certainly not winning any beauty pageants. But that doesn't mean it's not tasty.

This is easily done in the crockpot or on the stove. I've done it both ways and it really doesn't make much difference. You can throw in extra veggies (I'm partial to sliced mushrooms) or go simple. I always serve it over mashed potatoes, because that's what my momma did but it'd also be great over rice or pasta. Just something to soak up all that delicious sauce.

 
Swiss Steak
1 1/2 pounds cubed round steak
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper
All-purpose flour, for dusting
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (14-1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 medium onion, cut into strips
1 medium bell pepper, cut into strips
 
Cut steak into serving-size pieces. Season, to taste, with garlic powder and salt and pepper. Dust meat with flour. In heavy skillet, brown both sides of meat in vegetable oil. Transfer to Dutch oven or crockpot.
 
In a large bowl, combine garlic, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, and 1 tomato-can measure of water. Pour over steak and simmer over low heat until meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hours adding water, if necessary to keep meat partially covered. If using crockpot, cook on low for 6-8 hours.
 
Season to taste with additional salt and pepper before serving.
 
Source: Paula Deen

1 comment :

  1. We’re making this again. So yummy the first time. Interesting comments. Some people just know how to make it work for them and others don’t

    ReplyDelete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved