Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Crispy (Baked) Shrimp Taquitos



There is a (faux) Mexican food buffet chain back home in Texas that we ate at a lot growing up. Especially when the buffet price was cheap and we were growing teenagers. One of my favorite things on that buffet were the taquitos. Don't ask me what kind of meat was inside - I probably don't want to know - but they were deep fried goodness. Just thinking of that restaurant brings back childhood memories of Sunday afternoon lunches after church!

I probably wouldn't ever choose to eat there again but I'd order a taquito any day of the week! Taquitos are simply corn tortillas, stuffed with goodness, then rolled and fried.

Frying is my favorite way to cook them but I decided to save the calories {and the mess!} and bake them. They are still crispy and MUCH better for you (and less greasy).

I've made creamy chicken taquitos before but this time I stuffed them with this delicious tomato and shrimp mixture that's easily whipped up on the stove in just a few minutes.

These were tasty dipped into sour cream and salsa - queso would also be awesome!


Crispy {Baked} Shrimp Taquitos
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 jalapenos, finely diced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
salt and pepper to taste
1 handful cilantro, chopped
12-15 corn tortillas
Cooking spray

Preheat the oven to 425. Spray a baking sheet lightly with cooking spray and set aside.

  • Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic, jalapenos, and cumin. Saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 2-3 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook for 1 minute. 

Remove from heat, season with salt, and mix in the cilantro.

Wrap a slightly damp paper towel around 2-3 tortillas and microwave for 20-30 seconds. Working quickly, add 3 tablespoons of shrimp mixture to each tortilla, roll tightly, and place seam side down on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas.

Once they are all rolled, spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle lightly with salt. 

Bake 15-20 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Serve with queso, sour cream, or salsa. 

Source: adapted from Closet Cooking

4 comments :

  1. These look delicious Aimee!! My kids are nuts for Mexican food and would love these!! Thanks for linking up at Wake Up Wednesdays!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are perfect for kids! Especially since they are made for dipping :)

      Delete
  2. These look delicious! My five-year-old loves taquitos. I usually fry them because both of my little ones could use the extra fat, but it is super messy. Next time, I'm definitely going to try baking them using your method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was still young enough to need the extra fat hahaha. Super tasty but YES! Messy! We are big fans of baking them and I don't think they lose too much of the deliciousness in the process. Or maybe I just tell myself that? :)

      Delete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved