Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie Fudge



Does anyone really have leftover Halloween candy at their house? In my world, there is absolutely no such thing! The amount of recipes circulating last week that called for "leftover Halloween candy" had me cracking up. But they sure looked good! And I'd never turn down a baked good made with candy bars (hello!?).

We went through a ton of candy this year for Halloween ~ but not at our house. Our trunk or treat event at church had a huge turn-out and we went through LOTS of candy. So much, in fact, that I had to send a church member up the road to CVS for 35 more bags halfway through the event! We paid through the nose for those bags but Trunk or Treat just isn't a hit if we run out of candy before all the kids got their fair share. Next year, I'll be the crazy lady at Costco buying a pallet of candy!

So, I didn't have a single piece of leftover Halloween candy in my house but I DID have fudge. Ridiculous fudge, really. I kept seeing fudge recipes go by on Pinterest and realized it'd been years since I made some at home. I played around a bit with some of my favorite flavors and came up with this. Y'all, I realize it's a tad over the top but go with it.

The fudge itself is semi-sweet chocolate + peanut butter. I used semi-sweet because, honestly, I'm not a milk chocolate fan. If you like milk you could sub that in and have a milk chocolate + peanut butter fudge similar to a Reese's cup. And because I can't leave good enough alone, I decided to blend in chunks of brownie.

Yep, brownie.

Now, I'm not usually a packaged/boxed brownie girl but in order for the brownie to hold up in the thick chocolate it needed to be a dense firm brownie. Not gooey, fudgy, or soft. I don't have a stand-by brownie recipe that would fit the bill so I reached for packaged brownies.

You know those awesome brownies you used to get in your lunchbox? Yep, that's what I used. And they worked perfectly!

To add a touch more peanut butter flavor - and to make them prettier - I drizzled on a simple peanut butter glaze.

The whole recipe comes together in around 10 minutes. Let it cool for a couple hours, slice into pieces, and you have one sinful treat on your hands.

These are super rich and sweet! I recommend cutting them into small pieces - which also means they'll last longer!


Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie Fudge
10 ounce bag peanut butter chips (such as Reese's)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
4 dual-pack fudge brownies (such as Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies)
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 tablespoon milk
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Line an 8x8 pan with parchment or wax paper, allowing it to hang over the edges slightly for easier removal later.

Remove the brownies from their wrappers and chop them into small pieces. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, melt the peanut butter chips, semi-sweet chips, and condensed milk over medium heat. Stir constantly until it's smooth. Remove from heat and gently stir in 1/2 of the chopped brownies.

Pour the mixture into your prepared pan, smoothing it out on top. Sprinkle the remaining brownie pieces over top, slightly pressing them down into the chocolate.

In a small bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, milk, and powdered sugar. Spoon it into a sandwich sized ziptop bag. Cut the corner and drizzle it over top.

Allow to chill for 2 hours or until firm (the drizzle will remain soft). Cut into pieces and enjoy!

Source: adapted from Something Swanky

11 comments :

  1. This looks so delicious, and would be totally perfect to put in with the baked goods that I give out at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aimee, these look so good! Do you think I could substitute the peanut butter chips with regular creamy peanut butter mixed with powdered sugar? Next time I have some left over brownies, I want to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there are other fudges out there that use straight up PB so I bet it would work! Esp if you up the chocolate chips to help give it more "strength" - if you try it, be sure and let me know how it was! I always have PB on hand and don't always have PB chips so it might be dangerous to know that it works both ways :)

      Delete
  3. Isn't it amazing to discover how EASY fudge is to make at home?? I can't believe I was ever scared of it! I'm wondering if you could dry out homemade brownies and use them successfully for this recipe? I totally agree that freshly made fudgy brownies wouldn't work.

    This looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there are homemade versions of the Little Debbie box ones i made so those might work, too. Or maybe a cakey brownie that isn't straight from the oven fresh. I guess I could take one for the team and just baking a bunch of brownies... :)

      Delete
  4. I'm visiting from Show Stopper Sat...I love peanut butter and chocolate so these fudges bites are calling out to me. I love giving out fudge as gifts for the holidays so I'm pinning to make. :)
    Tina at www.tinaschic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love receiving fudge as a gift! :) Thanks for the pin!

      Delete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved